Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Introduction

The following posts are responses to assignments from Fall Quarter’s Design Communications Class:

Hello,

My name is Kevin Zylka, I am currently a Junior Industrial Design major at the University of Cincinnati. I have spent the past three years in the DAAP program, an experience that continues to challenge me to grow and develop as both a designer and a person. Through DAAP, I have had the opportunity to co-op for two companies, Haney PRC and Evenflo. My co-op quarters have built upon my classroom experience, allowing me to get a glimpse of the daily interaction between designers, engineers, marketing teams, clients, consultancies and users.

On a personal level, I enjoy elegant, yet simple design solutions. Products that balance effective problem solving with beautiful form language inspire me. I am drawn to solutions that reduce stress, misuse, and failure, and I value items that are built with quality components, designed to last. It is my hope that I can infuse these elements and characteristics into my designs. When I need to take a breather from the world of design, I enjoy spending my time with family and close friends. I also spend a good deal of time watching and playing sports, I am a Cincinnati native, and root for all of the hometown teams. I am also a pitcher for the UC Club baseball team during the spring and fall.

In response to our first assignment, I have developed the following personal goals for myself this quarter.

First, I would like to improve my sketching, working on creating quick, dynamic sketches that effectively communicate concepts to others. I will measure the success of this goal by periodically comparing my sketches from studios, evaluating my line quality, perspective, and speed.

Second, I would like to develop my presentation skills. Public speaking is such an important part of selling one’s concepts to a classroom or to the public. I would like to work on being clear, concise and confident. I will evaluate the level of my success by having fellow students critique my presentations in studio. As I focus on eliminating specific weaknesses, my skills will improve.

Finally, I would like to improve my techniques for creating presentation boards, and portfolios. I would like to refine my 2D presentation skills, focusing on creating visualizations that compliment the design work and capture the eye of the viewer. I will again, measure my success in this area by having fellow classmates, and professors critique my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment